Thursday, February 26, 2009

Harry wishes it was the Red Sea and I was Moses

Poor Harry had to cross a puddle to get to the gate today.  That's a problem for him.  You see, he was born in Greensboro, SC in 2002 right smack dab in the middle of a drought.  And that drought has lasted the whole time he lived there.

Most horses will step in water, mud or go around it or over it...they are used to it.  Heck, my driving horse Rocket drove right into the Flint River, trotted downstream a few hundred feet and then back out.  We were on a marathon and the river was hip deep on him and over the floor boards of our cart.  We got our feet wet.  So, most horses cope with water.

Not Harry.  He doesn't know what it is, he doesn't trust it and HE'S NOT GOING TO STEP IN IT!  So....

Today I had to get him to cross a puddle about 1 foot wide that went from fence to fence.  The only way in to the barn was over/around/through the puddle.  I walked through it with my end of  the lead line....he stayed on the other side with his end of the lead.  At this point he wished I was like Moses and could part the puddle so he could walk through.

After a bit of tugging suggestioning he come across and him pulling back suggesting NOT, he decided to take a flying leap.  I was fully expecting this and, in fact, was pleasantly surprised that he did not jump on top of me.  He landed by my side with a couple of hearty PLOP PLOP steps.  I now have mud and muddy water dripping down my right side and some on my left knee.  Oh well, better than mud on top of my head.

He's much better with getting his halter off.  He's getting used to not pulling his head out backwards.  I loop the lead rope over his neck right behind his ears so I can keep him in position.  He's getting the hang of staying by me with his halter off.  A few more times and I think he'll be back to being 'tamed'.

I have to say that he was very well trained by his other mother.  Very mannerly and very respectful of people.  This 'loose' behavior is the result of ME doing the least possible to get them in and out of the barn in sub-freezing temps and sub-zero windchills.  But, he's a very nice boy and is cooperating beautifully with getting back to basics.

Today the morning was dry but the ground is still frozen:  too slick for lunging.  This afternoon it is starting to rain and we're supposed to get torrential downpours.  I hope Harry gets over his water thing...there may be a lake at the gate by morning.  Maybe I'll put him in a boat and ferry him out to the pasture!

No comments: