Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Hot and humid


Okay, I should say it right now:  I'm a winter person.  I spend most of summer in the a/c.  That makes riding a little hard because it's NOT  in the a/c.

I had already planned a day off today for Harry.  I rode Monday and Tuesday.  I'm not sure if it's okay to ride everyday or not so I decided to just groom him today.  I had planned to lunge my other Morgan who definitely needs exercise along with his diet.  But it's SOOOOOOOOO HOTTTTTTTT!  I think it's a little unfair to ask an obese, out of shape horse to work in the heat.  At least that's what I TOLD myself.  Too hot!

Harry came to the gate today when he saw me.  They were both out in pasture #3, about 500 feet from the barn.  My prayer:  "Please God, let him come to the gate, don't make me walk out there to catch him."  Yay, I didn't have to walk out in this heat.  

When I brought the boyz in I led them both at the same time.  This is a first for them and me.    I haltered them in the pasture and then opened the gate to bring them through.  Harry got a little stuck on the wrong side of the gate but he didn't mind it bumping him in the chest.  He figured out he needed to step AROUND the gate to get by my side.  So with a horse each side, we walked quietly into the barn and into their stalls.  Leading 2 at a time comes in handy when it's raining or it's very hot or very cold.  It's just something they should be able to do without making a fuss.

Harry got a thorough grooming and loved every minute of it.  And he didn't seem terribly upset that we weren't riding today.  He got fly sprayed and put in his stall with his fan, a flake of hay and fresh water.  Oh, and he got 2 apple cores.   He thinks life is good.

I forgot to say yesterday that we had a major big first success:  he pooped while I was riding and didn't try to stop!  Way to go Harry.

I'm back in the a/c finding all sorts of 'inside' work to do around the house.  Beginning of course with Harry's blog.  First things first, doncha know! :-))))

No comments: